Consumers switching to vegan shampoo has been a growing trend in the last couple of years. Even though it might be hard to find the right shampoo for you, research shows there are many benefits of finding one that suits your hair type. Natural and vegan products are also environmentally friendly, cruelty-free, ethical and above all else, they are a far healthier option for your well-being.
Two main criteria define vegan products:
- The product is plant-based, organic, and use all-natural ingredients
- They have not been tested on animals. This means the products are cruelty-free and do not contain any animal derivatives.
Natural products are often the best options for your beauty and the environment. In fact, today, a large portion of the beauty industry is shifting towards zero waste and sustainability.
You can have both incredible hair and take care of the environment by changing your purchase habits. Hence, in this article, we’re going to consider all the benefits of using vegan and zero waste products!
Coconut & Lime Shampoo bar by Wellow
1) Zero Waste Shampoo is Environmentally Friendly
Did you know that we produce over 300 million tons of plastic waste each year? 78 percent of that waste is not reclaimed or recycled. That means over 230 million tons of plastics end up in landfills annually. In fact, shampoo bottles thrown out every year in the US alone could fill 1,164 football fields.
In short, that’s a lot of unnecessary waste that can be avoided with zero-waste shampoo. If you’re trying to be more conscious and environmentally friendly, it’s best if you change your purchasing habits, and focus on using sustainable products.
Living more zero waste does require a small shift in your buying habits. You’ll have to move from using cheap and low-quality products. Instead, you’ll want to purchase healthy, ethical, and natural ones. This is where vegan shampoo comes in. As we said above, vegan shampoos are cruelty-free and plant-based, which makes them the perfect natural products for you.
Living a zero-waste lifestyle is not always straightforward. It is doable if you take a few small steps in the right direction.
Using vegan products ensures that your daily choices are not impacting the environment. Furthermore, if you’re an animal lover, going vegan reduces the need for animal testing and exploitation. Combining that with zero waste products means you’re helping to reduce the millions of pounds of plastic waste around the planet.
2) Better Ingredients Means Better Shampoo
The other significant benefit of vegan and natural products is the beneficial impact they have on your health and beauty.
To demonstrate, let’s start with harmful ingredients that are found in many standard shampoos:
- Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate – strong detergents that strip your scalp of oils and residue, leaving your hair damaged and frizzy.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate – creates foam, but at the same time, it has toxic effects like stripping your scalp of its natural oils and damaging your hair color.
- Sodium Chloride – can cause hair loss and an itchy scalp.
- Diethanolamine and Triethanolamine – are emulsifiers and foam agents; these are banned by the European Commission for cosmetics.
- Parabens – are used as preservatives, but they are also known to mimic the effects of estrogen and are linked to harmful cell growth.
- Alcohol – has known drying effects on the hair and the skin.
- Synthetic Fragrances and Colors – can irritate the skin, and damage the scalp. They tend to “hide” harmful chemicals, and some colors are even derived from petroleum or coal-based sources.
Luckily, there are great alternatives on the market. Vegan shampoos, in general, don’t contain synthetic and harsh ingredients. Hence, the shampoos are made mainly with natural options like essential oils and different kinds of butter (eg. shea butter) that have mild and nurturing effects.
Using plant-based ingredients like argan oil, aloe vera, jojoba oil, cocoa butter or kaolin clay nourish and moisturize your hair. That makes them suitable for people with sensitive scalps and damaged hair. Plus, vegan shampoos are often filled with an array of vitamins and minerals that give your hair a shiny glow.
Choosing vegan and natural products can be good for your health and the environment!
3) Vegan Shampoos and Ethics
Understanding that every product you buy has a broader impact on the environment is part of a conscious lifestyle. If you’re trying to live a more mindful life, read the label to purchase products that fit many of the following criteria:
- Palm oil-free
- Ethical sourcing policies
- Zero-waste packaging
Zero waste products are a step towards a healthier lifestyle and environment, making them ethical. All in all, it's about decreasing waste and carbon footprint as much as we can. Your hair care routine doesn’t have to be expensive, elaborate, or wasteful to be effective. You can still get the same benefits for your hair if you research some vegan and zero waste options.
Another point worth mentioning are ethical sourcing policies. According to CIPS, ethical sourcing is defined as “conducting sourcing activities at the highest possible standards of responsible, sustainable, and socially aware business practice.” When looking at brands, try to find information about their ethical sourcing practices.
If you want to live sustainably and consciously, vegan and zero waste products are the way to go! These products can help to omit unnecessary waste from the environment and harming of animals. Vegan and natural products also tend to contain higher quality ingredients compared to regular shampoo. Finally, by going vegan you are making an ethical choice and supporting brands with strong ethics. So why not get started today!